Photo kindly captured by Adel
I’m Omer Dawelbeit. My passion for computers and programming started as a hobby back in the day and evolved over the years to cover stuff such as Web technologies, cloud computing, Big Data and IoT. I’ve a PhD in Computer Science,16+ years of technical leadership, consultancy experience and hands-on software development. I’ve built digital capabilities, designed and implemented both large and small applications for businesses ranging from Startups to Blue-Chip. I’m also a regular contributor to Open Source through my GitHub repos. I like technical challenges and pushing the limit of what’s possible, I like to motivate and I’m always positive .
I’m a Google Developer Expert for Cloud and currently work as a consultant helping clients establish and operate their digital capabilities. I’ve founded two startups in the past. I was also the co-organiser for the Reading and Thames Valley Google Developers Group and have grown the group through technical community engagement and collaboration. I enjoy mentoring & inspiring others on digital technologies, sharing knowledge through open source code samples, presentations and blog posts. Below is a brief summary of my community engagements.
If you want me to speak at your conference or event please email me on omer (dot) dawelbeit (at) gmail.com or tweet me.
- Oct/Nov 2017 – various talks covering Google Cloud in Algeria and UAE
- 23rd Sep 2017 – Talk & Codelab – Introduction to Google Cloud Platform – Google Developer Roadshow Cairo. Smart Village Cairo, Egypt
- 6th Sep 2017 – Training – Attending the Sprint Master Academy, Krakow Poland.
- 5th Sep 2017 – Community – Attending Google Developer Days Europe in Krakow, Poland. Helping with Cloud Platform office hours.
- 4th Sep 2017 – GDE Community – Attending the Google Developers Expert Summit in Krakow, Poland.
- 22nd Aug 2017 – Talk – Introduction to Google Cloud – GDG Cloud Emirates. Dubai Internet City.
- 17th Jul 2017 – Community – Co-organiser of GDG Cloud Emirates. UAE
- 22nd Apr 2017 – Talk – Introduction to Google Cloud – GDG Jeddah in Umm Al Qura University in Mekkah, Saudi Arabia.
- 8th Dec 2016 – Conference – Presenting a paper titled ‘Efficient Dictionary Compression for Processing RDF Big Data Using Google BigQuery‘ at the IEEE Globecom 2016 conference in Washington DC.
- 29th Jul 2016 – Talk – Introduction to Google App Engine – GDG North East (Newcastle).
- 23/24 Mar 2016 – Live correspondence from Google Cloud Platform Next 2016 in San Francisco with both GDG Reading & Thames Valley & GDG North East
- 4th Feb 2016 – Talk – Google Container Engine and Kubernetes – Oxford GDG Meetup
- 3rd Mar 2016 – Talk – Introduction to Google App Engine – Oxford GDG Meetup
- 30th Jan 2016 – Mentor – Mentoring participants @ Hack Cambridge hackathon as part of the Google team
- 27th Jan 2016 – Talk – Cloud And Social Are All You Need To Go Big – Digital Henley Meetup
- 13th Jan 2016 – Talk – Introduction to Google App Engine – Reading & Thames Valley GDG Meetup
- Dec / Jan 2016 – My blog posts on Kubernetes, Cloud Shell, Pi Zero with App Engine and Google Container Engine were featured in many newsletters, here are a few:
- Pi Zero post Featured on Adafruit blog and on the Google Cloud Platform Flipboard
- piweekly newsletter issue 137
- Google Cloud Platform News Roundup for December 2015
- LinuxBSDos.com – A 10 minutes guide to Kubernetes
- Cloud Development Weekly issue 34
- Web Operations Weekly issue 47
- DevOps Newsletter issue 253
- Devops Weekly #260
- Dockone.io translated to Chinese
- Kubernetes Daily
- 5th Aug 2015 – Talk – Google Bigquery, processing big data without the infrastructure – Reading & Thames Valley GDG developer gathering.
- 21st Oct 2015 – Conference presentation – A Novel Cloud Based Elastic Framework for Big Data Preprocessing – 7th Computer Science & Electronic Engineering Conference
- Efficient Dictionary Compression for Processing RDF Big Data Using Google BigQuery, Omer Dawelbeit and Rachel McCrindle. 2016 IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Washington, USA
- CloudEx, A Novel Cloud-based Task Execution Framework, Omer Dawelbeit and Rachel McCrindle, 2016 IEEE Global Communications Conference: Workshops: Fifth International
Workshop on Cloud Computing Systems, Networks, and Applications (GC16
Workshops CCSNA), Washington, USA
- A Novel Cloud Based Elastic Framework for Big Data Preprocessing, Omer Dawelbeit and Rachel McCrindle, Proceeding of the Sixth Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference 2014 (CEEC’14), IEEE
Open source projects:
I’m currently the contributor and maintainer of the following open source projects:
- ECARF, Elastic cloud based reasoning framework for the Semantic Web, http://ecarf.io
- CloudEx, A generic elastic cloud based framework for the execution of embarrassingly parallel tasks. http://cloudex.io.
- Appstart, Graphviz-Server, etc… more projects on GitHub
- 2017 – present – Co-organiser of the Google Developer Group Cloud Emirates
- 2015 – 2016 – Co-organiser of the Reading & Thames Valley Google Developer Group
- Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+OmerDawelbeit
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/omerio
- GitHub: https://github.com/omerio
- LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/omerdawelbeit
- StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/users/1958841/omerio